Just to chime in, I'm almost done with the changes to the website code that
allows the user to select the version of documentation they wish to see
(haosdent is reviewing the final revisions), and it does depend on using
git to checkout the previous versions of the website via tags, so if we did
isolate the website code to a specific branch or repo, we would also need
to ensure that the tags of commits to the website code stay in sync with
tags of commits to the actual code.  This would not be too challenging, but
something to keep in mind.

Keeping the website code in a separate repository might be easier to manage
from this perspective, since tags are effectively global to a given repo,
so if we kept the website code in a special branch within the main repo,
we'd need something like a tag called "1.3.0" for the main code, and
"website-1.3.0" for the website code, which could be confusing.