Can you also tell us a little more about "Apple Clang"? Is it just a
wrapper bound to a particular clang version? Why does it exist? Also, do
you know what the versioning scheme is?

$ clang++ --version
Apple LLVM version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.6.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/
XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

Removing support sounds fine to me as long as there are clear OS X / macOS
instructions on the getting started page, and ideally we could tell people
that their "clang" is too old at configure time?