Hi Mesos users/devs,

I am curious about what use cases do folks in the community have about
updating running tasks? i.e., amending the current task without going
through the typical kill -> offer -> relaunch process.

Typically you would only want to do that for the "pets
<https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/18/servers_pets_or_cattle_cern/>" in
your cluster as it adds complexity in managing the tasks' lifecycle but
nevertheless in some cases it is too expensive to relocate the app or even
relaunching it onto the same host later.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1280 has some context about
this. In particular, people have mentioned the desire to:

   - Dynamically reconfiguring the task without restarting it.
   - Upgrading the task transparently (i.e., restarting without dropping
   connections)
   - Replacing tasks with another without going through offer cycles
   - Task resizing <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1279> (which
   is captured in another JIRA)
   - Certain metadata, e.g., labels (but I imagine not all metadata makes
   equal sense to be updatable).

What other/specific use cases are folks interested in?

Best,
Yan