Hi,

We are running into an issue with slave status update manager. Below is the
behavior I am seeing.

Our use case is, we run Stateful container (Cassandra process), here
Executor polls JMX port at 60 second interval to get Cassandra State and
sends the state to agent -> master -> framework.

*RUNNING Cassandra Process translates to TASK_RUNNING.*
*CRASHED or DRAINED Cassandra Process translates to TASK_FAILED.*

At some point slave has multiple TASK_RUNNING status updates in stream and
then followed by TASK_FAILED if acknowledgements are pending. We use
explicit acknowledgements, and I see Mesos Master receives, all
TASK_RUNNING and then TASK_FAILED as well as Framework also receives all
TASK_RUNNING updates followed up TASK_FAILED. After receiving TASK_FAILED,
Framework restarts different executor on same machine using old persistent
volume.

Issue is that, *old executor reference is hold by slave* (assuming it did
not receive acknowledgement, whereas master and scheduler have processed
the status updates), so it  continues to retry TASK_RUNNING infinitely.
Here, old executor process is not running. As well as new executor process
is running, and continues to work as-is. This makes be believe, some bug
with slave status update manager.

I read slave status update manager code, recover
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/slave/task_status_update_manager.cpp#L203>
 has a constraint
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/slave/task_status_update_manager.cpp#L239>
 to ignore status updates from stream if the last executor run is completed.

I think, similar constraint should be applicable for status update
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/slave/task_status_update_manager.cpp#L318>
 and acknowledge
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/slave/task_status_update_manager.cpp#L760>
.