So,  assuming ( I know I know ) that METRON-777 eventually lands, it will
have lain the framework for the extension system for parsers out, including
the capability to create parsers outside the metron tree.

The next step is METRON-258, side loading of parsers.  This will be the
effort to actually install 3rd party parser and other extensions ( stellar
libs for example ) into metron.

My first inclination is to add new capabilities to the REST services to
accomplish this.  We would use the current services, or orchestrate them to
accomplish this.

The ‘process’ required would be the following:

I’ll pseudo code it out:

[rest endpoint]
installExtension(FILE extensionTgz, string extensionType)

workingDir = unpackExtensionAssembly(tmpDir, extensionTgz)

deployExtensionBundleToHdfs(workingDir)

if(parser == extenstionType)
pushConfigurationToZK(workingDir)
pushESTemplate(workingDir) *possibly depending on 777 review
        setupLogRotate(workingDIr) * possibly depending on 777 review
saveExtensionTgzSomewhere(extensionTgz)

Then, the configuration ui would be extended to front the new api.

* there is still a question of how we get a parser to the ambari
configuration, such that when starting parsers it starts a parser - unless
that happens and I don’t see it

I would like some feedback on this approach.

* Is rest the right way?  Should we do an ambari view instead?
* Is this too much to do in a rest call?  Will it timeout etc?
???

Any ideas would be appreciated.