Ambari provides rest APIs to pull the values as long as you know (or can write
a chain of calls to find) things like the name of the cluster and variable. Of
course you’re writing an Ambari service, in which case there are various ways.
A bad, though arguably viable way would be to grab it from the config files
ambari writes and hope the restart had happened since the last change.

Simon