Thanks for the good write up Matt.  Here are my thoughts:

D1: I don't see a way to have a default that works in every scenario.
Documenting this and setting a sane default that works most of the time is
probably the best path forward.

D2: If we use _local_ and _site_, shouldn't it prioritize site for
publishing, like we want?  I guess if you have multiple interfaces that fit
in site it is not super obvious to an end user which will be specified,
although it is programmatic like you mentioned above.  Are we specifically
trying to bind to a global IP?

To reinforce my prior comment, as a system owner who has publicly
addressable IPs on systems, I do NOT want _global_ included by default, and
thus would strongly deter from using 0.0.0.0 as well.  This is asking for
trouble.

D3: To avoid confusion, I think ES should be configured like ES, and vice
versa.  Think of people who have well tuned ES systems and want to port
their configs into Metron.

Another thought - is this handled better if we upgrade ES?  Afaik we don't
really depend on ES for much, and an upgrade has other benefits, among
those being able to natively support periods in field names[1].  I am
doubtful this will resolve any of our concerns but figured I'd mention it
anyway.

In a separate ES related JIRA I'm working on, I will either need to de_dot
bro fields in the parser, force the transformation in the Kafka plugin (not
preferred), provide an example of how to do this in bro configs (not very
obvious to those new to bro/es), give an example of transforming in
stellar, or upgrade ES.  I'm leaning towards upgrading ES to 2.4 at least,
if not 5.x.

1:.
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.4/dots-in-names.html

Jon