Hi Marc - Welcome to the community.

>  Vagrant quick dev env does not boot for me.

This relies on an image stored in Atlas.  There was recently a commit that
broke that image.  We just need to update the image stored in Atlas.  Until
we do, feel free to use Full Dev.

> The environment variables references in the docs (e.g. $METRON_HOME) are
not set by default...

Yes, we do not try to set those.  That's just to help fill-in-the-blank a
bit.

> Some parts of Metron don’t seem to be getting installed at all

You are correct again, sir!  The Profiler and MaaS are not installed with
the Ambari Mpack yet.  That's on our todo list.  I think that would be a
great contribution.

Have a good one