Github user merrimanr commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/737

    Just pushed out a commit that addresses @ottobackwards comments and fixes
the NUM_WORKERS and NUM_ACKERS issue.  I also added a warning that appears when
a storm setting changes, telling the user that the topology needs to be
restarted.  It may seem redundant that the same message appears for each field
but we might want a different message in the future once we expose a way to
rebalance using zookeeper values.  At that point this pattern would make sense
and I don't think it necessarily looks too bad now.

    @nickwallen I also started a discussion on the other points you brought up.
 Hopefully whatever conclusion we come to there can be a follow-on JIRA.

---