Github user ottobackwards commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/814

    Thanks, I added those tests to the test class, and these fail:
    ```java
    @Test
      @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
      public void testVariableOnlyNoDefault() {
        Assert.assertEquals("a",  run("match{ foo : 'a' }",
            new HashMap() {{
              put("foo", true);
            }}));
      }

      @Test
      @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
      public void testVariableEqualsCheckNoDefault() {
        Assert.assertEquals("a",  run("match{ foo == true : 'a' }",
            new HashMap() {{
              put("foo", true);
            }}));
      }

      @Test
      @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
      public void testVariableOnlyCheckWithDefault() {
        Assert.assertEquals("a",  run("match{ foo : 'a', default: 'b' }",
            new HashMap() {{
              put("foo", true);
            }}));
      }
    ```

    I will take a look.  I feel that I have similar tests to these that are
working, so it is strange.

---