Github user mmiklavc commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/857

    Follow up from @merrimanr and my work yesterday. We upped the versions of
Node to 9.2.1. Per the doc, >8 is required to work with async/await. For good
measure, I also set the NPM version to 5.6.0. We didn't touch Jasmine, but the
Protractor docs also state that it should be > 2.7. Looks like we are currently
using 2.5.2 per the package.json file. We may want to consider increasing that
version as well.

    We added `SELENIUM_PROMISE_MANAGER: false` to `protractor.conf.js` and
immediately got failures due to `Promise` use in the Protractor tests and
configuration. e.g. `var defer = protractor.promise.defer();`. So we removed
references to promises in the conf file and were able to get past that first
batch of errors. Now we were into problems with the tests. I started with the
`login.e2e-spec.ts` spec file and removed `: Promise<any>`. Running the tests
again, the login tests were able to succeed.

    There are still a large number of failures due to disabling the promise
manager, but still having code throughout the test suite that leverages the
older style. It's unclear if this will resolve all stability issues, but I
think this is moving in the right direction.

---