Github user cestella commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/879

    @nickwallen  I definitely hear you, the JSON configs are more complex than
I'd like.  I'd like another more composable solution available using lambda
functions available in the REPL.

    The intent of this PR, however, was a minimal extension of our existing
extractor config to enable this use-case.  This PR isn't making a complex bit
of JSON per se, but rather it's reusing our existing complex bit of JSON to
enable the use-case.  I would love to create a discuss thread to see about a
more REPL-friendly approach to this, but I think that belongs as a follow-on.
Thoughts?

---