So, there is value outside of just bloom usage.  The most specific example
of this would be in order to configure a bloom filter, we need to know at
least an upper bound of the number of items that are going to be added to
the bloom filter.  In order to do that, we need to count the number of
typosquatted domains.  Specifically at
https://github.com/cestella/incubator-metron/tree/typosquat_merge/use-cases/typosquat_detection#configure-the-bloom-filter
you can see how we use the CONSOLE writer with an extractor config to count
the number of typosquatted domains in the alexa top 10k dataset so we can
size the filter appropriately.

I'd argue that other types of probabalistic data structures could also make
sense here as well, like statistical sketches. Consider, for instance, a
cheap and dirty DGA indicator where we take the Alexa top 1M and look at
the distribution of shannon entropy in the domains.  If the shannon entropy
of a domain going across metron is more than 5 std devs from the mean, that
could be circumstantial evidence of a malicious attack.  This would yield a
lot of false positives, but used in conjunction with other indicators it
could be valuable.

Computing that would be as follows:

{
  "config" : {
    "columns" : {
       "rank" : 0,
       "domain" : 1
    },
    "value_transform" : {
       "domain" : "DOMAIN_REMOVE_TLD(domain)"
    },
    "value_filter" : "LENGTH(domain) > 0",
    "state_init" : "STATS_INIT()",
    "state_update" : {
       "state" : "STATS_ADD(state, STRING_ENTROPY(domain))"
                     },
    "state_merge" : "STATS_MERGE(states)",
    "separator" : ","
  },
  "extractor" : "CSV"
}

Also, for another example, imagine a situation where we have a SPARK_SQL
engine rather than just LOCAL for summarizing.  We could create a general
summary of URL lengths in bro data which could be used for determining if
someone is trying to send in very large URLs maliciously (see Jon Zeolla's
concerns in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-517 for a
discussion of this).  In order to do that, we could simply execute:

$METRON_HOME/bin/flatfile_summarizer.sh -i "select uri from bro" -o
/tmp/reference/bro_uri_distribution.ser -e ~/uri_length_extractor.json
-p 5 -om HDFS -m SPARK_SQL

with uri_length_extractor.json containing:

{
  "config" : {
    "value_filter" : "LENGTH(uri) > 0",
    "state_init" : "STATS_INIT()",
    "state_update" : {
       "state" : "STATS_ADD(state, LENGTH(uri))"
                     },
    "state_merge" : "STATS_MERGE(states)",
    "separator" : ","
  },
  "extractor" : "SQL_ROW"
}

Regarding value filter, that's already around in the extractor config
because of the need to transform data in the flatfile loader.  While I
definitely see the desire to use unix tools to prep data, there are some
things that aren't as easy to do.  For instance, here, removing the TLD of
a domain is not a trivial task in a shell script and we have existing
functions for that in Stellar.  I would see people using both.

To address the issue of a more targeted experience to bloom, I think that
sort of specialization should best exist in the UI layer.  Having a more
complete and expressive backend reused across specific UIs seems to be the
best of all worlds.  It allows power users to drop down and do more complex
things and still provides a (mostly) code-free and targeted experience for
users.  It seems to me that limiting the expressibility in the backend
isn't the right way to go since this work just fits in with our existing
engine.