Github user nickwallen commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/687

    I have not looked at the code yet, but wanted to comment on the assignment
discussion.  IMO focusing on user experience is the way to go.  To that end...

    * We should use `=` because that is just more obvious.
    * We should remove `:=` from the REPL environment (very easy, just delete
`AssignmentCommand`).
    * All references in the docs to `:=` need to be changed to `=`. (Ugh)

    All of that can happen in this PR or as multiple PRs (however
@ottobackwards sees fit), but that is the right end state.

    **Alternative Option**: The only other reasonable option IMO is to support
both `=` and `:=` (for some undetermined period of time.)  The only snafu is
that both should have the same implementation.  So support for `:=` would have
to be added to the 'language' and we should NOT rely on the `AssignmentCommand`
implementation in the REPL.

    I am mildly against the "Alternative Option", but wanted to offer it up for
discussion.

---