When launching either of the development environments, you are probably
seeing a warning message like this.

Bringing machine 'node1' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
> ==> node1: There was a problem while downloading the metadata for your box
> ==> node1: to check for updates. This is not an error, since it is usually
> due
> ==> node1: to temporary network problems. This is just a warning. The
> problem
> ==> node1: encountered was:
> ==> node1:
> ==> node1: The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
> ==> node1:
> ==> node1: If you want to check for box updates, verify your network
> connection
> ==> node1: is valid and try again.

I believe the problem is that Hashicorp has chosen to no longer host the
base images that we rely on (outside of paying enterprise customers.)

The Packer, Artifact Registry and Terraform Enterprise (Legacy) features of
> Atlas will no longer be actively developed or maintained and will be fully
> decommissioned on Friday, March 30, 2018. Please see our guide on building
> immutable infrastructure with Packer on CI/CD for ideas on implementing
> Packer and Artifact Registry features yourself and the Upgrading From
> Terraform Enterprise (Legacy) guide to migrate to the new Terraform
> Enterprise.

​If you already have the base images downloaded, do not delete them!  The
development environments will continue to work as long as you have those
images.

The problem is that new users will no longer be able to download these
images.  And ultimately I am suspect that future updates will occur on
these base images.

Is everyone experiencing this problem?  Does anyone have any other details
to share on this?

I am concerned that this is going to force us into some significant work in
the short-term to ensure that our development environments continue to
work.  I have some alternative options to discuss, but I want to make sure
we have all the information on what's happening before discussing those.