I would like to bring this discussion to a conclusion and update the PR
accordingly.  To clarify on whether we depend on an RDBMS right now, we do
but only for authentication which will probably be replaced at some point.
So the answer is not really.  I personally agree with Simon and think we
should use HBase because this use case fits the data model and it's already
in our stack.  I would add that with HBase we can move the schema evolution
complexity to the application layer and hide it from the user.  This will
make upgrades easier which is my main point of contention.  I also agree
with Nick in that I do think there may be a place for a RDBMS in the future
but we can always add it back.

The 2 choices seems to be either an RDBMS or HBase.  Here is a summary
based on comments in this discussion:

RDBMS
- some are not too worried about schema evolution as the data model will
likely be simple
- avoiding having to alter tables when upgrading would be ideal
- works with ORM tools
- is flexible and could be useful for future use cases

HBase
- might involve boilerplate code if not covered elsewhere in Metron
- key/value is good enough for user profile settings
- data replication for free

Reading over this thread again I get the impression there is a slight
preference for HBase.  Want to give people one more change to chime in or
argue the other solution.  Let me know if I missed anything or didn't
include someone's argument.