Github user ottobackwards commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/943

    I think I mentioned contrib.  They don't have to go in contrib, I think at
the time someone mentioned not wanting to maintain them.. If we don't then I
thought contrib would make sense.
    We can keep them normal.

    Metron installation artifacts ( templates, schemas, kibana objects,
queries, and dashboards ) should be managed separate from the kibana / es /
solr /  packs.
    They are artifacts of metron and we need to support installing them on
existing installations.
    If they need to be installed in a different phase, or as their own
component, then fine.
    we need to break that down more anyway ( like package the 'demo' system +
parser configs as optional ) maybe.

---