Github user ben-manes commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/940

    That makes sense. A uniform distribution will, of course, degrades all
policies to random replacement so the test is then about how well the
implementations handle concurrency. Most often caches exhibit a Zipfian
distribution (80-20 rule), so our bias towards frequency is a net gain. We have
observed a few rare cases where frequency is a poor signal and LRU is optimal,
and we are exploring adaptive techniques to dynamically tune the cache based on
the workload's characteristics. These cases don't seem to occur in many
real-world scenarios that we know of, but it is always nice to know what users
are experiencing and how much better (or worse) we perform than a standard LRU
cache.

---