It is still our user list and dev list that will have the burden of talking
folks through that.

On June 5, 2018 at 09:58:32, Casey Stella (ceste...@gmail.com) wrote:

To be clear, I'm not even suggesting that we create any tooling here. I'd
say just a reference to the ES docs and a call-out in Upgrading.md would
suffice as long as we have some strong reason to believe it'll work. As
far as I'm concerned, the sooner we're out of the business of transforming
fields, the better.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.4/dots-in-names.html

> Might be worth taking a look to see what conflicts we'd have going from
2.x
> to 5.x and figuring out where to go from there.
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Simon Elliston Ball <
> si...@simonellistonball.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess in principal you could use
> > https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/
> > current/docs-reindex.html#docs-reindex-change-name
> > to reindex with the new fields. It wouldn't be hard to script up a bit
of
> > python to help users out with that, or of course to leave that as an
> > exercise to the reader. It would be nice to have a script that read and
> > transformed fields for templates and indices to replace the colons with
> > dots in ES.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > On 5 June 2018 at 06:40, Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 to that, Simon. Do we have a sense of if there are utilities
> provided
> > > by ES to do this kind of migration transformation easily?

> We
> > > have
> > > going
> though