Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the willingness to look at creating a
NiFi processer. That would be great!

Just to follow up on this (after a week looking after the "ops" side of
dev-ops): I really don't want to have to use the flatfile loader script, and
I'm not going to be able to write a Metron-style HBase key generator any time
soon, but I have had some success with a different approach.

1. Generate data in CSV format, e.g. "server.domain.local","A","192.168.0.198"
2. Send this to a HTTP listener in NiFi
3. Write to a kafka topic

I then followed your instructions in this blog:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/2016/06/16/Metron+Tutorial+-+Fundamentals+Part+6%3A+Streaming+Enrichment

4. Create a new "dns" sensor in Metron
5. Use the CSVParser and SimpleHbaseEnrichmentWriter, and parserConfig settings
to push this into HBase:

{
        "parserClassName": "org.apache.metron.parsers.csv.CSVParser",
        "writerClassName":
"org.apache.metron.enrichment.writer.SimpleHbaseEnrichmentWriter",
        "sensorTopic": "dns",
        "parserConfig": {
                "shew.table": " dns",
                "shew.cf": "dns",
                "shew.keyColumns": "name",
                "shew.enrichmentType": "dns",
                "columns": {
                        "name": 0,
                        "type": 1,
                        "data": 2
                }
        },
}

And... it seems to be working. At least, I have data in HBase which looks more
like the output of the flatfile loader.

Charlie