The challenge with making it configurable is that every query, every profile,
every analytic, template, pre-installed dashboard and use case built by any
third party who wanted to extend metron would have to honour the configuration
and paramaterize every query they run. My worry is that that would render some
engines totally incompatible with many installs (as opposed to just needing an
escape character as you would with hive now) and would prevent a lot of tools
participating in the metron eco-system.

I think this is something where we need to make a good decision and stick to it
to allow the ecosystem to build on a known foundation.

Dots are not great because hive uses them to separate, underscore collides with
our existing  convention, and hyphen collides with a number of other common log
formats, so it’s not an easy one to have an opinion on, but I do think we
should have an opinion rather than forcing every user to make the hard choice
to exclude others from sharing.

Perhaps the flat key value structure is the real question here, and given
progress in the underlying index engines may not be the panacea it once was.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone