Thanks for the write up Simon. I don't think I see any major problems with
deprecating the general sql store. However, just to clarify, Metron does
NOT require any specific backing store. It's 100% JPA, which means anything
that can be configured with the Spring properties we expose. I think the
most opinionated thing we do there is ship an extremely basic table
creation script for h2 and mysql as a simple example for schema. As an
example, we simply use H2 in full dev, which is entirely in-memory and spun
up automatically from configuration. The recent work by Justin Leet removes
the need to use a SQL store at all if you choose LDAP -
https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/1246. I'll let him comment further on
this, but I think there is one small change that could be made via a toggle
in Ambari that would even eliminate the user from seeing JDBC settings
altogether during install if they choose LDAP. Again, I think I'm on board
with deprecating the SQL backing store as I pointed this out on the Knox
thread as well, but I just wanted to make sure everyone has an accurate
picture of the current state.

I had to double check on the HBase config you mentioned, but it does appear
that we use it for the Alerts UI. I don't think I realized we were storing
config there instead of the Zookeeper store we use for other system
configuration. Ironically enough, I think that it probably makes more sense
than the current auth info to store in a traditional sql store, however
it's in HBase currently so it's a non-issue wrt SQL/JPA either way, as you
pointed out.

Whatever architectural changes we choose to add here, I think we need to
emphasize pluggability regardless of the specific implementation. That is
to say, I don't think we should make a hard requirement on Knox, in order
to get LDAP, in order to deprecate an optional general SQL backing store.
It makes sensible defaults if that's where we want to go, which is the way
we have done things for most of the successful features I've seen in
Metron. Provide all the options should a user desire them, but abstract
away the complexity in the UIs.

Best,
Mike