I definitely agree with option 3; that's a no-brainer IMO.  I thought for
sure this was already happening, honestly.

As for 2, we could even script the broken link check by:

   - Serving up the site locally via python with `python -m http.server`
   from the site-book output directory
   - Looking at the output of wget --spider -e robots=off -w 1 -r -p
   http://localhost:8000 for 404s

As for 1, I'm fine with it if that's where we want to go.  I'm a +0