Hi devs,

We've talked about this fairly ad hoc on PRs before, and I thought it worth
bringing up more formally. Architecture diagrams are a strategically useful
addition to the core developer documentation. Examples include:

   1.

https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-platform/metron-parsing#parser-architecture
   2.

https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-platform/metron-enrichment/metron-enrichment-storm#enrichment-architecture
   3.

https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-platform/metron-job#job-state-statechart
   4.

https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-interface#knox-requestresponse-flow

We currently have a couple formats for maintaining the source diagram files
across the project as well as a few diagrams with no source files. I've
personally used draw.io in the past because it's publicly available and
free to use. I also see Powerpoint.

   1. No source file -

https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/metron-analytics/metron-maas-service/maas_arch.png
   2. draw.io source -

https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/metron-platform/metron-job/metron-job_state_statechart_diagram.xml
   3. powerpoint -

https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/metron-interface/flow_diagrams.pptx

I'm interested in what the developer community has access to and would
prefer. As I mentioned before, I'm partial to draw.io if only because it
does not require a fee to use. PowerPoint is probably easier to use, but it
does limit the contributors who can edit the images. Are there other
options that people have used they would prefer over any of the above? Are
we still interested in maintaining the source files (my personal vote is
yes)?

Best,
Mike