I didn't get a chance to say so earlier, but Justin, I also like the JUnit
5 extension suggestion. I've gone through some en-masse changes before,
e.g. standardizing the log4j construction idiom, and it honestly wasn't too
bad. Just a thought, it might make sense to kick this off by upgrading
overall JUnit 4 to 5 across the code base, and then diving into some of the
more 5-specific changes you're recommending as needed. I created this Jira
a bit ago - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-2037. That was to
upgrade to 4.13, but we might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone if we
go to JUnit 5. I'm volunteering to look into this and/or see the work
through to completion. What do you think?

> - debuggability (right now we run the tests in the same JVM and setting
   breakpoints is trivial, even in the innards of Hadoop.  This is very
   valuable for figuring out what's going wrong and we'll need SOME solution
   for it)

Yeah Casey, I remember this from the last time we discussed it. That's the
most import issue to be sure we have a handle on, imo. We'll need to figure
out remote debugging in Docker containers. Not to mention, the execution
path becomes a bit more spread out when we're running multiple components
as nature intended across multiple processes.