I am not too familiar with the methods they use, but I believe they try and
split up tasks based on the dependency tree. There are known issues though.
To your point it won't be as simple as just switching travis' build config.
If build times become an issue, it may be worth the investigation. Here is
a link to a description of how it works (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Parallel+builds+in+Maven+3
).