Casey and James,
Do we also want to include in the Release Process that we publish Maven
artifacts?  The (detailed) procedures for Apache conformance
are in http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

This probably wants to be integrated with our build tools.

This is optional, so we could leave it for later.

Thanks,
--Matt

On 1/17/17, 12:33 PM, "Casey Stella" <ceste...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Larry,

    Thanks for the info.  In that case, then the following passage:

    > Now, we must grab the release candidate binary from the github releases
    > page (https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases). In our case,
    > for RC1, that would be

https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/archive/apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz
 We
    > will refer to this as the release candidate tarball.

    Should be replaced with:

    On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM, larry mccay <lmc...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
way
    > to validate that archive is to build it locally; manually inspecting
    > generated files (especially binary files) is not feasible. So, basically,
    > "Yes".
    >
    > *Note: This answer refers to the process used to produce a release
artifact
    > from a source control tag. It does not refer to testing that artifact for
    > technical quality.*
    >

    > Knox is still using the archive from a jenkins build and is also out of
    > compliance.
    >
    > We will need to eventually change this approach as well.
    >
    > The threat is that someone could compromise such a remote system in a way
    > that adds additional classes or alters the code in someway that the
project
    > will then be propagating this compromised binary under the Apache brand.
    >

    > 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#owned-controlled-hardware
    >
    > On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey Matt,
    > >
    > > Github actually constructs the tarball for us using git archive (for
    > every
    > > tag, for that matter).  We don't explicitly push any tarball to github.
    > > The reason why we pull the tarball from github directly is that we ship
    > > .gitattributes to define what gets put in the tarball. (we don't ship
the
    > > site for instance).  This was just easier to describe than to walk
    > through
    > > using git archive.  I don't think it's hurting anything necessarily, but
    > > might be wrong.
    > >
    > > Regarding Step 7, that can be made explicit, but the link is part of the
    > > VOTE template.
    > >
    > > Regarding maintenance releases, 1 and 2 may be skipped for a maintenance
    > > release, but the rest really should be followed.  It's a release and
must
    > > abide by apache requirements, I think.  Maybe the mentors could chime
in,
    > > though.
    > >
    > > Regarding Security break-fix, I'm not sure.  Perhaps the mentors can
    > chime
    > > in?
    > >
    > > Casey
    > >
    > > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Overall, a great contribution.  I suspect that as the next couple
    > Release
    > > > Managers go thru it, they’ll find various glitches to clean up, but
    > > that’s
    > > > fine.
    > > > Bravo especially for the last couple paragraphs (Ensuring Consistency
    > > > between Feature and Maint Releases), which are very good.
    > > >
    > > > One major issue:  Step 4 says:
    > > releases
    > > > page (https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases).
    > > >
    > > > Missing step!  How did the tarball get there?
    > > >
    > > > Also, I don’t think the tarball should be first pushed to github.
What
> [...]
    > > time
    > > >     > Initiating a New Metron Release
    > > >     > Immediately upon the release of the previous Metron release
    > create
    > > > two branches: FR ++ and MR. Create the FR++ branch by incrementing the
    > > > second digit like so 0.[FR++].0. Create the MR branch for the previous
    > > > Metron release by incrementing the second digit of the previous
release
    > > > like so 0.[FR].[MR]. All patches to the previous Metron release will
be
    > > > checked in under the MR branch and where it makes sense also under the
    > FR
    > > > branch. All new features will be checked in under the FR branch.
    > > >     > Creating a Feature Release
    > > >     > Step 1 - Initiate a discuss thread
    > > >     > Prior to the release The Release manager should do the following
    > > > (preferably a month before the release):
    > > >     > Make sure that the list of JIRAs slated for the release
    > accurately
    > > > reflects to reflects the pull requests that are currently in master
    > > >     > Construct an email to the Metron dev board (
    > > > dev@metron.incubator.apache.org) which discusses with the community
    > the
    > > > desire to do a release. This email should contain the following:
    > > >     > The list of JIRAs slated for the release with descriptions (use
    > the
    > > > output of git log and remove all the JIRAs from the last release’s
    > > > changelog)
    > > >     > A solicitation of JIRAs that should be included with the next
    > > > release. Users should rate them as must/need/good to have as well as
    > > > volunteering.
    > > >     > A release email template is provided here.
    > > >     > Step 2 - Monitor and Verify JIRAs
    > > >     > Once the community votes for additional JIRAs they want included
    > in
    > > > the release verify that the pull requests are in before the release,
    > > close
    > > > these JIRAs and tag them with the release name. All pull requests and
    > > JIRAs
    > > > that were not slated for this release will go into the next releases.
    > The
    > > > release manager should continue to monitor the JIRA to ensure that the
    > > > timetable is on track until the release date. On the release date the
    > > > release manager should message the Metron dev board (
    > > > dev@metron.incubator.apache.org) announcing the code freeze for the
    > > > release.
    > > >     > Step 3 - Create the Release Branch and Increment Metron version
    > > >     > Create an branch for the release (from a repo cloned from
    > > > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-metron.git).
    > (assuming
    > > > the release is 0.[FR++].0 and working from master):
    > > >     > git checkout -b Metron_0.[FR++].0
    > > >     > git push --set-upstream origin Metron_0.[FR++].0
    > > >     > File a JIRA to increment the Metron version to 0.[FR++].0.
Either