Simon Aquilina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry if this reply is not exactly what you may be expecting back.
> I am sure around here there are many experts that will have many more
> interesting replies then this one. However could you please explain to
> me (and possible others) what Asynch[ronous] Http Client is, and what
> are its advantages? If I know exactly what it is then I can imagine ways
> on how to use it :)

Sure...I would be happy to explain it.

With the movement of web containers to NIO (Ex. Jetty, Tomcat, and
AsyncWeb), they are able to handle a lot more throughput and
simultaneous connections.

For some web applications, the servlets may need to retrieve data from a
third party web service or scrape 3rd party HTML to embed in a page, or
need to grab content as a proxy, like images or ads or pdf from another
server.  In these sorts of scenarios, the NIO/Comet in the web server
would normally have a thread that is blocking when using a blocking
client API (like Commons HttpClient or Sun's HttpURLConnect) to retrieve
this data.  This could significantly throttle the throughput of the NIO
containers.  By having an Async Http Client API, the thread could be
parked and put into use for something else while the original call is
waiting for a connection or a response from the third party server.

Jeff