Michael Jakl wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm reposting a slightly revised timetable how I plan to implement the XEP-060
> (publish/subscribe) extension for Vysper.
>
> Please comment on it.
>
> Until 2009-05-23 my plan would be to continue to explore the current Vysper
> capabilities as well as to read the XEP-060 in detail.

Since this is also the Community Bonding Period, do you have any idea
how to get you out of your study and provide some feedback loops?

> The pubsub specification is quite large (170 printed pages), so I think a
> month
> is a good time frame. Maybe I will start coding earlier, though.
>
> Within the coming month I would also like to finalize a (rough) plan how to
> implement certain features.

+1

I'd define two goals: Structure the spec for implementation (plan) and
maybe summarize the parts to involve the rest of the community, so that
they get an idea of what it's all about.

> For example I would like to clarify whether Vysper
> has (or should have) a general purpose extension mechanism.

+1, please think aloud on-list.

> In the following "Node" stands for "A virtual location to which
> information can be published and from which event notifications and/or
> payloads can be received (in other pubsub systems, this may be
> labelled a "topic")."
>
> Between 2009-05-23 and 2009-07-07 I plan to implement the following
> parts of the specification (including the chapter within the XEP-060
> 1.13rc1 spec):
>  - Publish an Item to a Node (7.1)
>  - Subscribe to a Node (6.1)
>  - Affiliation to a Node (4.1)
>  - Discover Node Information (5.3)
> These are the minimum requirements a XEP-060 implementation must
> fulfill to be conforming to the standard (see Chapter 3).
>
> Recommended features (creating and configuring a node for example) may also
> fit
> within this time frame. Chapter 10 of the XEP-060 gives an overview of the
> required, recommended and optional features.
>
> After the midterm evaluations I think it is best to concentrate on completing
> the extension with recommended features. And to integrate the new features
> cleanly into the Vysper server.
>
> In the end (around 2009-08-10) I'd like to have all the required and most of
> the recommended features of XEP-060 implemented and integrated into the Vysper
> server.
>
> After that we can complete the extension with the missing recommended and
> optional features and keep up with the draft-standard (since it is a moving
> target).

In our proposal evaluation call we talked about implementing an
examplary use case from the beginning. Can you factor this into your plan?

  Bernd