On Nov 23, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

I've checked in my *very* rough initial thoughts for an API. I "vetted" them against an Amazon S3 API that I am working on https://svn.codehaus.org/livetribe/nursery/livetribe-s3-api .

Can you point out a little more specifically? Can you point out the http specific code?

There was a discussion on this a while back. I thought that the connector/connection/client/factory was a bit awkward, imho. There were a few other things but rather than making a tedious comparison I thought that I would just highlight what I think are the key important features of the my API sketch.

Hehe - the connector/connection/client/factory was my awkward implementation. ;-)

/me dusts himself off after the bus is done running him over ;-)

At the time my employer needed something literally within one week to show to its client. So I simply mirrored some of the Mina API to keep it simple, while at the same time utilizing GOF best practice patterns. This was before me running it by anyone. So lets just say it was something I literally threw together (but as a positive note, it certainly performed darn well) ;-)

I'm pretty sure that it can support all the use cases listed in http://cwiki.apache.org/AWEB/client-use-cases.html plus a few more.

My API is pretty simple. Factories create clients and clients create connections; you can forgo the use of factories. Connections can be reused to implement load balancing/proxying. You'll notice that the core components are not littered with implementation parameters. These are left to implementations of HttpConfig.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense.

I have an asynchronous mechanism to download content as the HTPP response is being parsed. I think my mechanism for supplying multiple MIME content is pretty clean.

Can we see it?

Jeff

Extensions of HttpListener can be added to obtain various events. I thought that the type safety of listeners would be preferred to a generic HttpEvent listener.

There may be overlap with existing APIs.

Regards,
Alan