>>>  > I think this is a worthy purpose nevertheless and feel very strongly
that
> we should keep them - I don't see the harm....
>
> BTW, I could argue the same case against *InitializingBean* and
> *DisposableBean* in view of *@PostConstruct* and *@PreDispose*, but I
still
> think they are very useful.
>

>>> Yeah, but that's historical.  InitializingBean and PostConstruct were
>> written before annotations were added to java ...

Still, if we take the functionality criterion at its literal
interpretation, these interfaces should have been phased out at least 3
major versions ago. My point, though, is that we should look at our code
quality under the 80-20 principle. I believe we are way over 80% quality in
our code and are starting to debate the last 5% - which bring us to these
long discussions about code structure philosophy, where it is natural to
have differences of opinion. IMO, if we seem to agree on the 95%, let's
agree to disagree on the remaining 5% and unless harmful anti-patterns or
extremely bad code is is involved let's not re-factor un-necessarily if
someone (myself in this case) seems to have such reservations about it.

In this context, I had reservations about reverting the fact that a
CommandFactory is a NamedResource (which I think is very useful for future
features I had in mind...) or the elimination of the anonymous unmodifiable
class instantiations, but in the interest of avoiding these "5%
discussions" I chose not to make an issue of it (live and let live).

I am sorry I cannot provide more decisive arguments against the proposed
re-factoring than what I have already presented - ones that you would find
more compelling. As you can see I feel very strongly that it would not be
in the best interest of the code to execute these specific *XXXHolder
*removals,
and all I can say is that I find them useful (which I am aware you
disagree...) and unless you feel very strongly that they are harmful, we
should leave them in.