> sources that are posted there and tried to build from them ? How is it
even
> possible - after all (AFAIK) they do not form a valid Maven project ?

>> They should. What's the pount in distributing a source package if you
can't build it ?

>> Also keep in mind that Apache does *only* distribute source packages,
binary packages are proposed for convenience only. Any source pckages
should be buildable.

Thanks for the clarification - I was not aware of this (one learns
something new every day...). I will try and do as you suggested and see for
myself if the issue you reported is reproducible. As you yourself indicated
it is puzzling since the sources are supposedly a copy of the github ones
and as you mentioned, the github repository can be successfully built.

As a side-bar, in the era of github does it make sense to mandate
publishing the sources ? After all, they are publicly available to whoever
wants to clone the repository and build the project. Perhaps Apache should
reconsider the policy and allow projects that have a public (!) git hub
repository avoid the need to publish the sources....

Lyor G.