Hi Adam,

I have not been able to figure out is the exact issue you are encountering,
but if you can diagnose it and perhaps provide some test code that
reproduces it, we will certainly try and see how to make it work.

That being said, a few remarks on this issue:

>> have been implementing various nio filesystems

If indeed the file that SSHD is trying to query about its permissions is on
some proprietary implementation, then this needs to be debugged by the
specific file system in order to see if it "mis-behaves" somehow (see more
below).

>> I can’t tell if there is an issue here or not, however, it may be one
restricted to Windows

I can say with a very high degree of certainty that the code works on
standard Windows file systems without any problems - I personally tested
this code on Windows 7, 8 and 10 without any issues - both FAT and NT.

>> uses a file object if the views don’t contain the POSIX attribute

The code attempts to emulate POSIX permissions by using File instead of
Path if it detects the Windows file system. However, if the file resides on
some special proprietary/custom file system, there may be problems.

Which brings me back to the original suggestion - try and debug the issue.
Should be fairly easy to set up a test code with a *main* that simply
accepts some file path and then invokes
org.apache.sshd.common.util.io.IoUtils.java#getPermissions. Simply try this
code with various locations - some that reside on "suspicious" file systems
and try to diagnose the issue.

While we might not be able to fix it for you, we might be able to add some
hooks into the code that you can use as a workaround for your specific
issue (and hopefully others that may encounter similar problems). Once you
have more concrete data - and perhaps an idea as to the hooks/workarounds
you need, please open an SSHD issue on our JIRA site (
https://issues.apache.org/jira) - we will certainly try and see how we can
help.

Lyor G.