Hey folks,

Today AWS announced contributing ONNX-MXNet, an open source Python package that
imports ONNX models into MXNet. @roshrini and I (@lupesko) have worked on the
code, which is now publicly available [1], and published a blog post
demonstrating usage of the package [2]. Special thanks to dmlc/nnvm team, whose
ONNX code was used as a reference for this implementation.

What is ONNX?

ONNX is an open source format to encode deep learning models. ONNX defines a
format to store neural network's computational graph, as well as a storage
format for operators used within a neural network graph. For more details,
check out onnx.ai [3].

Why I think ONNX is important for MXNet?

ONNX is an emerging standard, that holds a lot of potential for Deep Learning
practitioners. With ONNX, people can create and train a network with framework
A, and deploy it for inference with framework B. The blog post we published
demonstrates using a Super Res model trained with PyTorch, and importing it
into MXNet Symbolic API for inference. I strongly believe that adopting ONNX
early on adds value for deep learning practitioners, and thus supporting it
adds value for MXNet as well.

As for next steps, I was thinking that porting the functionality and code into
MXNet is the logical next step.

Would love to get the community's feedback and contributions!

[1] https://github.com/onnx/onnx-mxnet

[2] https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/ai/announcing-onnx-support-for-apache-mxnet/

[3] https://onnx.ai