If you train with a newer version of MXNet and try running on a older
version of MXNet, it might not already work today,  I am not sure if we
want to support such use-cases. This is tangential to this piece of work

If ONNX were to update their version, I think the right place to keep
future versions of ONNX compatible should be in ONNX by providing a tool to
move from ONNX.v0 to ONNX.v1. so that various framework converters always
move with the latest version of ONNX.

ONNX models I believe already contains the ONNX version with which it was
built.