+0.5
I'm an SDE working for MXNet Engine team at AWS and I've been using JIRA
for nearly every single PR (28 out of 29 PR at this moment) I created since
I joined the team 3 months ago. I wouldn't say it's a really bad
experience, but definitely not good.
I do agree that we need something like JIRA and extra effort other than
writing code to manage the project, but the current user experience with
JIRA really has room for improvement.
The more important question for the community is that, is JIRA good for
attracting and retaining open source contributors? Such a user experience
of JIRA could drive contributors away if we're really enforcing it.
In conclusion, I think the usage of JIRA should be of one's or team's own
choice, if you do have the need to manage some development process (like
our team), just continue to use it, but we should no longer enforce or
persuade anyone to use it.
I'm also attaching a typical workflow of mine using JIRA with sprint
management and story point tracking for a single task, I think everyone who
has used JIRA so far would share part of my experience.
Thanks,
Hao

Appendix: what I need to do when I'm working on a task with JIRA:
1. Before I start working on something:
    1) create a JIRA ticket for that, choose the correct type and define a
proper name for it
    2) go to backlog page to add it to a sprint if you want to use the
sprint management.
    3) go to sprint management page to assign story point value if you need
the functionality (we recently started doing that)
2. When I start working on the task:
    1) dig my ticket up (on the sprint page or backlog page or search for
it)
    2) click "open and start progress" to move it to "IN PROGRESS" phase.
3. When I finish the code, for every new PR I'll have to:
    1) dig my ticket up
    2) copy the ticket number so that I can add it to the PR title
    3) an extra click to move the ticket to REVIEW phase
    4) create a PR on github, paste the "MXNET-xxx" I just copied inside an
extra pair of square brackets "[]"
    5) still need to refer the related github issue in the PR if I'm
solving one of them
4. For every code review or comment I receive on the new PR:
    1) the JIRA bot logs 10 mins on the ticket no matter what kind of
comment it is
    2) JIRA sends me an email for every single one of such logs (so if you
receive 10 code review comments in a single code review you get 10 emails,
my highest record was 17, while github would bundle all of them in only 1
mail)
5. After the PR is merged I get an email from JIRA saying this is merged
(for the bot, merge is like another comment on the PR) but I still have to:
    1) dig my ticket up
    2) manually move it to DONE phase (bot does not do that automatically).
6. The task is considered finished at this point, but any new comments on
the PR will trigger the bot once again to log 10 mins on your ticket
together with another email coming to your mailbox, while github is already
sending an email for that.