Thank you Thomas for your suggestion, we already did exactly that and now
even have a CI verification for PR's to this branches in a public fork. The
main problem mentioned by Pedro already is that the changes we are doing
are already big and they are not going to be smaller over time. The merge
back to origin is going to be not only full of conflicts, but also
challenging to review.

As well such a PR could not be named starting with [MXNET-xxx] mentioning a
certain JIRA ticket, since it incorporates a batch of things tightly bound
to each other. It will be a big not separable list of tickets and changes
both specific to the problem and general improvements necessary to be made.
This is impossible to cherry-pick or revert separately and a completely
different branch needs to be maintained for release changes, general
improvements and specific task development.

Some general improvements require such amount of work (for example some
cmake improvements) that the initial issue becomes not solvable anymore in
a reasonable amount of time, burying both the potentially added value and
WIP improvements.

In general I don't understand the reason for such hard blocking of
contributions. None of the iterative changes proposed have an "unstable
state", they are all bringing value in a series of improvements that fix
the success already made.

Anton