* Resetting the list of committers to people that have contributed in
the previous
terms in the latest 6 months

I bought this before and got shot down by the mentors, as according to
Apache it is impossible to bar merit based on time of contributions.

On the other hand, I like some of the points being raised in the proposal.
Note that, the "bar of engineering" is something that can be discussed in
the dev-list.

Software engineering is about trade-offs. We are already writing test
cases, document APIs to prevent as Pedro suggested in the list. On the
other hand, inevitably sometimes bug slip through and the rate, especially
when there are major changes.  Having flaky test cases and bug appearing
should not be the absolute reason to accuse bad bar of engineering. Because
there is a trade-off to make, it is better to delegate some of the
trade-offs to the committers who do the code reviews and encourage more
contributors to contribute code reviews.

It is great to raise concerns about specific changes and say how things
could have been improved to give more context. But in many cases, we should
also know that our opinions are biased especially if there is a specific
area we tend to. Some of us are more like "protectors" who would tend to
shoot down contributions that may not have "evidence" that everything is
covered. Some others are more like a "pioneer type" who would try
drastically new designs while ensuring test coverage, sometimes brings in
bugs.

Anyhow, when the decisions are made, it is made by a group of people,
everything is helpful but nothing is perfect. CI, test-cases and even one
vetoing code reviews cannot judge the status of the contribution. I usually
find it is most helpful to still delegate to the committers who are
familiar with the code to make the final decision.

Tianqi