"I ran a similar test(test_slice_batchnorm) for 5K times and I couldn't
reproduce the issue."

One thing to keep in mind is that the SelectAlgo call will cache results in
a registry that is in static scope.  To repro you'd likely have to create a
new process each time you run the test.  (Apologies if this is already how
you're reproducing).

SelectAlgo call:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/403831ace46eab4447794df9411351e439e8983e/src/operator/nn/cudnn/cudnn_convolution-inl.h#L609

Static local / singleton registry pattern here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/024b5a916dd3a39a39031ce5e6565cd7d9d60fe2/src/operator/nn/cudnn/cudnn_algoreg.cc#L37