Appreciate the big effort in bring the CI back so quickly.  Thanks Marco.

On Nov 21, 2018 5:52 AM, Marco de Abreu <marco.g.ab...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
wrote:
Thanks Aaron! Just for the record, the new Jenkins jobs were unrelated to
that incident.

If somebody is interested in the details around the outage:

Due to a required maintenance (disk running full), we had to upgrade our
Jenkins master because it was running on Ubuntu 17.04 (for an unknown
reason, it used to be 16.04) and we needed to install some packages. Since
the support for Ubuntu 17.04 was stopped, this resulted in all package
updates and installations to fail because the repositories were taken
offline. Due to the unavailable maintenance package and other issues with
the installed OpenJDK8 version, we made the decision to upgrade the Jenkins
master to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in order to get back to a supported version with
maintenance tools. During this upgrade, Jenkins was automatically updated
by APT as part of the dist-upgrade process.

In the latest version of Jenkins, some labels have been changed which we
depend on for our auto scaling. To be more specific:
> Waiting for next available executor on mxnetlinux-gpu
has been changed to
> Waiting for next available executor on ‘mxnetlinux-gpu’
Notice the quote characters.

Jenkins does not offer a better way than to parse these messages
unfortunately - there's no standardized way to express queue items. Since
our parser expected the above message without quote signs, this message was
discarded.

We support various queue reasons (5 of them to be exact) that indicate
resource starvation. If we run super low on capacity, the queue reason is
different and we would still be able to scale up, but most of the cases
would have printed the unsupported message. This resulted in reduced
capacity (to be specific, the limit during that time was 1 slave per type).

We have now fixed our autoscaling to automatically strip these characters
and added that message to our test suite.

Best regards,
Marco