Hi Zhi - thanks for the improvement, which we should consider for 1.4.0.
However, I don't see any tests with the PR and think it is too risky to add
changes without tests. I will add your PR to the tracking list, but would
like to ask you to add functional tests before completing the PR to master
and v1.4.x branch.

Steffen