This is really great research. I've often wondered what the difference
really is, and why it has to be so complicated. It seems the answer is
there isn't much difference and it shouldn't be as complex.
As for your next steps, would you propose that cmake be brought up to
parity? It seems strange that it causes slowness and if so, it shouldn't be
recommended for now.
Also, testing for windows compliers might be quite important as install
stats suggest a significant portion of windows users. Wouldn't this nudge
the decision of what to use as a rule going forward?
I ran into this submodule openmp issue on windows myself. How does that get
fixed? Do we have to repackage all of the submodules to make sure they use
the recommended implementation or they use what the system expects?

Cheers,
Aaron