First, I echo a lot with Steffen’s points on educating users on the usage of
MXNet and DL, and my team at my day job takes it as its mission. Just to name a
few related efforts: d2l.ai (a whole book on deep learning with mxnet), the
numerous tutorials in GluonCV, GluonNLP, DGL toolkits, the public course on
introduction to deep learning at UC Berkeley by Mu Li and Alex Smola.

Recognizing non-code contribution has also been one of the recent focus of the
PPMC. In fact, Aston Zhang, who made significant contribution to the community
by looking after the user forum and writing the d2l book, has just joined us as
a committer of our community. Kuo Ding, also known as chinakook, the maintainer
of the Awesome-MXNet list and advocate of MXNet in various social media, has
also just accepted our invite to become a committer. PPMC will definitely be on
the watch for more.

In addition, as PPMC member, I’m also interested in other ways to help
technical contributors to become familiar with the code base. I hope to grow
the pool of competencies in the committer group in various areas, by helping
interested community members. A larger pool of competencies makes better
experience for all contributors in the form of meaningful technical feedbacks
and code reviews. In my case, I spend half of my time on Github reviewing code,
and also participating in a wide range of design reviews. I’ve been encouraging
my committer peers to do the same. From the perspective of an experienced
committer, I think growth in the pool of technical competencies is sorely
needed, and I’m definitely interested in manageable ways to reach more people
and help those with the drive to grow with the community.

Towards meet-ups and hangouts, I have mixed feeling. On one hand, meeting other
MXNetters is exciting and I’d definitely like to indulge. On the other hand,
meet-ups tend to make it impossible, or at least time-consuming for people who
didn’t attend to digest. By spending the same time on carefully writing answers
to issues, I could easily have helped 10x more people across space and time.
Meet-ups also encourage off-list decision-making which is a bit concerning to
me too. These are my personal takes and I thought I should be candid about this
so that people who do attend can be more conscious about taking the
conversations back to the list.

In terms of nomination outside one’s own organization, my impression is that
this comes from the desire of growing the diversity in the community,
specifically in terms of the day job. So the “organization” refers specifically
to day job employer. From my perspective, I think all nomination should be
encouraged, and the day job of a community member doesn’t affect the merit one
has earned. That said, given that we strive to grow an open and transparent
community, a community member whose impact is limited only to one’s day job is
a red flag. The failure to leave any impression outside of the same
organization is likely a symptom of relying too much on private-channel
communication or making decision outside the community. If such case arises, I
think PPMC members can be trusted to recognize it as a problem.

-sz