While I personally like the idea. This can be something that is fairly
technical challenging and I would caution against this idea vs pushing for
good features and just allow runtime configuration.

The main problem here is due to the C++ ABI. There is no standard c++ ABI
across compilers, which means resorting to runtime DLL and dynamic loading
brings all sorts of technical problems, especially when multiple modules
depend on the same third dependency(CUDA runtime).
There is no good to go solution can be made here, especially given the
explosion of the backend variants and dependencies in C++.
A partial solution could be achieved, through the sole use of C ABI.
Combing this with code generation can result in some simplifications and
enable some runtime loadable module. TVM does this, and perhaps MXNet could
reuse some of that component for operator libraries. Similarly, having a
customizable operator library that is loadable via C ABI might be possible.

So to summarize, while I really like the idea of dynamically loadable
modules. My past experience suggests that this will bring a lot of
additional engineering burden and technical debts without significant
benefit. I would suggest starting by supporting something simple like a
plugin module, before moving toward the general direction.

Tianqi