I am actually a bit concerned about the security issues. We are asked to
download binaries from third-party websites, which are not controlled or
validated by Apache. Although it is claimed to be “decentralized”, I am
really not convinced where the security comes from.

In the meantime, sacrificing security doesn’t really bring us tangible
benefits. CMake does support download artifacts from a pre-defined website
very well. We may also have pre-built binaries stored in our CI docker
without having to download it them from the internet.

Another point is that I am not convinced of any advantage of Conan over
other package managers for C++. Would you mind at least mentioning the
benefits somewhere in this thread, rather than carelessly includes tons of
irrelevant links (some of which are even wrong) and eagerly asking for a
vote? I believe that reasonable discussion would keep us within a *healthy*
discussion.

Last but not least, as we all know, most of the dependencies you mentioned
adopts CMake, rather than Conan, the meta-generator which generates CMake.
I didn’t see your logic stands like “oh you have tons of dependencies so
you must use Conan”, why not I simply specify versions in git submidule,
which everyone understands how it behaves? Everyone know how to include a
sub-directory in cmake in one line, so why we have to write python to make
it less understandable and more complicated?

In conclusion, we need to be reasonable in healthy discussion. I don’t
particularly want to rudely +1 or -1 for a thing that is unclear to me, but
I really want to see pros and cons, discussion about issues and concerns,
rather than broken links to nonsense.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks,
Junru