-----Original Message-----
With the TCK behind us (thanks again to all who worked so hard on  
that) I figured it was a good time to work on getting cactus tests in  
place. My thinking behind Cactus is that we need to have the ability  
to do in container testing because some of the mock stuff is just too  
tedious. As background info I've been working on bug # 233 (empty  
date for inputCalendar) and its just too complex to test all the  
cases with mocks because of the amount of code that must be written  
to setup the mock env.
-----/Original Message-----
Good to hear that. Developing my own components I also have the problems

of testing. If we all join forces and know how on that, we can come up
with a sample of testing components...

-----Original Message-----
So I set out to get a cactus test env that I could execute container  
side tests in and I've gotten a fair way there.
-----/Original Message-----
good to hear

-----Original Message-----
The Good:
1) Cactus gives us an alternative means to test (in the container)
2) Cargo integration will be a great way to build tests that  
automatically invoke the example code on a wide range of containers  
with each release. This will help us avoid problems with the various  
containers because of a lack of testing.
-----/Original Message-----
Cool. Maybe I should revive my ant-task for the Yourkit-profiler?
Right now I have a web-app (done with JSF) and a servlet (for use
with JMeter and similar) to control the Yourkit Profiler from distance.
For an old version I once had also an ant-task... but I seem to have
lost that source...

-----Original Message-----
The Bad:
1) more dependencies
2) we don't seem to have a ground swell of support for testing so  
this all might be for nothing
-----/Original Message-----
Dependencies are only for build and testing? Is that so bad?

-----Original Message-----
What are you thoughts? Since introduction of JUnit I've not seen any  
additional tests being added to the mix. Its a huge task to get test  
coverage but I think its worth it, we will significantly reduce the  
uncertainty in doing a release if we can get a good set of tests in  
place.
-----/Original Message-----
JUnit is on e part of the game. But with presentation layer stuff the
incontainer-testing is a must. The applications that depend on Myfaces
may not need it (maybe they also need it...), but the confidence the 
incontainer test can give is important for future changes...

-----Original Message-----
I'm working on getting some more JUnit tests in place and would love  
to write up what is required if that would help others get started.
-----/Original Message-----
Way cool.

regards
Alexander

Reply via email to