Thanks very much Steve.

As this patch is a reasonably significant change, I'd like to wait at least 24 hours for other MyFaces committers to have a look at least at my summary of this patch (see below). If there are no objections during that period I'll then test and commit your patch as soon as I can find the necessary time.

Cheers,

Simon

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I submitted 2 more files: a tar that contains the new files that were missing from the .patch, and a patch for tomahawk/tld/tomahawk.tld that brings it up to date with the first patch.

Steve

On 11/23/05, *Simon Kitching* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Hi Steve,

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
     > Both tomahawk/tld/myfaces_ext.dl and tomahawk/tld/tomahawk.tld
    will need
     > some additional external entities added to pick up the standard HTML
     > stuff that I have in my patch.

    I had a look at your patch. To summarise for others:

    The patch moves definitions for various html attributes out of the
    per-html-component files and into a file per html attribute to avoid
    duplicate definitions across many files. Per-html-component files (like
    "html_button_attributes.xml") then contain a reference to a
    per-attribute file for each attribute that a button supports, rather
    than containing the definition inline.

    Possible issue: this effectively makes it *mandatory* for a compile-time
    step to generate the tld by composing the necessary files. Up to now
    this has been done because some servlet engines don't support xml
    entity
    refs in tlds at runtime, but with one file per html attribute even those
    containers that do support xml entity refs would take a fair performance
    hit. I don't see this as a major problem myself; generating the tld by
    expanding the refs seems to work nicely but I thought I would point it
    out in case someone else objects.

    The patch file you attached to JIRA doesn't include those new
    per-attribute files. I obviously can't commit your patch without them,
    as otherwise this will completely break MyFaces. Can you tar or zip the
    new "entities/html_attributes" dir containing these files and attach
    that to the JIRA issue?

     > It looks from here (subversion newbie) like tomahawk/tld/entities
    and
     > impl/tld/entities refer to the same files. If so, both
     > tomahawk/tld/myfaces_ext.dl and tomahawk/tld/tomahawk.tld will
    need some
     > additional external entities added to pick up the standard HTML
    stuff
     > that I have in my patch.

    File tomahawk/tld/myfaces_ext.tld is auto-generated from the
    tomahawk/tld/tomahawk.tld file by the build.xml file.

    Re dir: tomahawk/tld/entities, yes it is an "svn externals"
    reference to
    the impl/tld/entities dir. Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't
    spotted that. So fixing impl will clean up tomahawk as well; that's
    good.

     > Is there a simple way for a noncommitter to test in that
    environment, or
     > should I wait to see if my patch is accepted before I submit a
    patch to
     > update the other files?  That is probably simplest.

    I don't understand what problem you have with testing this. In order to
    emulate the "externals" behaviour, you just need to make
    tomahawk/tld/entities into a symlink to the impl/tld/entities on a unix
    platform. Or at worst, just copy the impl/tld/entities dir over the
    tomahawk/tld/entities dir if you're working on an inferior OS :-)

    Thanks for the patch.

    Regards,

    Simon