My thinking on the externals was that we create a folder called
myfaces-maven (or something) and have externals that reorg everything
in the way that Maven wants.  This wouldn't be a permanent solution,
just a convenient way of building the latest and greatest without
copying everything outright everytime.

Another idea would be to copy the repository to the "test" area of the
SVN server (if it still exists) and then just start moving stuff
around and skip the external stuff.

I looked at Wendy's wiki.  That is another interesting approach.

Ultimately I need to know more about Maven and what it needs before I
can reach a personal conclusion on which method will work best.

I am hoping that we can cut down on all of the externals in the new
Maven way of doing things.  I like the "one build to rule them all"
approach but its a real PITA changing the externals for all of those
build dirs.  Ultimately I would like the only externals to be for the
TLD entities and stuff where its truly needed.

OK back to my Maven research ...

sean