More precisely, you should not be allowed to replace the container's 1.2
implementation with a 1.1 implementation ... that would be like trying to
replace the Servlet 2.5 implementation built in to the container  with a
Servlet 2.4 or 2.3 implementation by trying to include the relevant jars of
Tomcat inside your war.

It is certainly technically feasible for an app server to provide a
mechanism to replace the JSF implementation inside the server itself.  Just
keep in mind that the result of doing this is no longer guaranteed to be a
"Java EE 5" server that has passed the entire platform suite of TCK tests.
The TCKs would have been run against the unmodified server as a unit.

good point. I remember when I tried to replace some JARs inside a
container (it worked)
but our QA told me that this will cause problems @ customers`s side.
They pay much money for a container and replacing JARs can cause loose
of support form the vendor side.

Anyway, let`s do the JSF 1.2 impl. Java EE 5 will not be part of
production at big big big customers. so containers like Geronimo or
OC4J (just to name two) will be able to take the MyFaces JSF 1.2 impl
to their system

-Matthias