That's a good point. Few follow ups below:

1) Could you please explain what, on a high level, the general algorithm
used by the server would be to see whether the state is part of the same
"sequence" of activities? e.g. if I open up two windows and am doing two
different things at the same time, couldn't potentially the jsf_sequences in
the first window be 1,3,5,7,9... and for the second window be 2,4,6,8,10...?

How would the server generally tell which came from which window using
jsf_sequence?

2) A somewhat related question I have is what is the difference between the
back button problem for client-side and server-side state saving? From what
I've read in articles/posts/books, I get the impression that it's a bigger
problem with server-side than client-side state saving (e.g. even your post
singled out server-side). I know that the state is stored in the actual page
as a hidden field with client-side, but I can't conceptualize how that
solves the problem...after all, if you hit the back button, aren't you
looking at an outdated component tree even with client-side, because that's
what the hidden field has stored?

3) You mentioned that jsf_sequence is used with server-side state saving,
but I've noticed it in client-side state-saving's generated HTML as well.
Could you perhaps describe how it would be used with client-side? (Same
reason as for server-side? I'm basically wondering why you singled out
server-side...maybe it'll have something to do with the response to my
question #2...)

Thanks a lot.